Jailed Russian Opposition leader wins top EU prize
Who is Alexei Navalny?
- Imprisoned Russian Opposition leader.
- He was awarded the European Union’s top human rights prize (Sakharov Prize).
- He was poisoned with a nerve agent last year and promptly arrested upon his return to Moscow from treatment in Germany and later imprisoned.
Why he has been arrested?
- He has campaigned consistently against the corruption of Vladimir Putin’s regime through his social media accounts and political campaigns.
- The recognition of Mr. Navalny will further sour relations between the 27-nation bloc and Russia.
- These ties have been on the decline for years, especially following Moscow’s 2014 annexation of Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula and its support for a separatist insurgency in eastern Ukraine.
- Russia suspended its mission at NATO and ordered the closure of the alliance’s office in Moscow in retaliation for NATO’s expulsion of Russian diplomats.