Panel studying trial data of new vaccine
Prelim – Science & Tech
- The green signal for the emergency use approval of ZyCoV-D, the COVID-19 vaccine by Zydus Cadila for those aged 12 and above, will take a few more days, Union Health Ministry officials said.
- The vaccine had shown good results in the Phase-1 and Phase-2 trials, and the data for the Phase-3 trials, conducted in more than 28,000 volunteers, were being examined by the Subject Expert Committee, they said.
- The second and third doses are to be administered on the 28th and the 56th days respectively.
- ZyCoV-D is a three-dose intradermal vaccine, which is to be administered using the PharmaJet needle-free system.
- COVID-19 infection and symptoms that continue for four to 12 weeks and beyond the initial illness with a wide range of symptoms affecting all systems — respiratory, cardiac, neurological, muscular and even general fatigue — is known as Long COVID. “It seems to affect older persons plus those with comorbidities” a medical doctor said.
- There is proven research that it is common for COVID-19 to last for five months or more and there are reports of it lasting 12 months also.